What differentiates traditional yogurt from its Greek equivalent is that the later has been refined to eliminate the whey. As a result, Greek yogurt has a creamier, thicker texture and richer flavor. The removal of whey results in a healthier yogurt with 40% less sugar, 38% less sodium and more than twice the amount of protein than traditional yogurt.
Each spoonful of Greek yogurt is also packed with nutrients and contributes to the following health benefits.
- Digestive Health
- Blood Pressure
- Weight Management
- Bone Health
- Lactose Intolerance
Now, imagine that you combine the health benefits of the Greek Yogurt with that of the Essential Oils, and the result is sublime.
One of my favorite recipes combining Greek Yogurt with Essential Oils is a Lemon-Blueberry Stuffed French Toast.
Lemon-Blueberry Stuffed French Toast (Serves 4)
- 1 ¼ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil for extra vitality
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ loaf challah bread, preferably whole wheat
- Cooking spray
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat it on the stove over medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, Lemon Essential Oil and cinnamon.
- Cut the challah into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices. Submerge half the slices in the egg mixture, being sure to moisten both sides.
- Then place soaked slices on the heated skillet and cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and keep warm. Spray skillet with cooking spray and repeat with the remaining challah slices.
- To make the filling, mash the blueberries and lemon yogurt together in a small bowl.
- To assemble each stuffed French toast, place 1 piece of French toast on a plate. Spread 1/4 cup of the lemon-blueberry mixture over the bread.
- Top with another piece of French toast, and slice in half. Just before serving, sprinkle the confectioners’ sugar evenly over the stuffed French toast.
SERVING SIZE: 1 stuffed French toast
NUTRITION INFORMATION (PER SERVING): Calories: 379; Total Fat: 9 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams;
Protein: 19 grams; Total Carbohydrates: 53 grams; Sugars: 19 grams; Fiber: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 232 milligrams; Sodium: 438 milligrams
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 6 drops Dill Vitality™ essential oil or 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 2 drops Lemon Vitality essential oil or ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, bowl, or zip-top bag.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours.