Did you sign up for an Essential Oils opportunity just to have your sponsor leave you out in the weeds?
You are what is called an orphan in the world of Essential Oils.
Don’t feel bad and don’t let that discourage you! It has happened to the best of us at some point in our quests for success.
So, you met someone who has a great opportunity, and she told you she would be there to “mentor” you through that Essential Oils company because your success adds to her success. The later is entirely sincere, if she doesn’t tell you how to do it fast and easy, you’ll make it eventually slow and arduously. If you ever make it…
But then, abracadabra! Like magic, she vanished – never to be seen or heard from again.
The same is true of your downlines: if you don’t help them, they will suffer the same agony and feel the same bout you that you feel about your sponsor.
Oh! The distress when you reach out to your “mentor” only to be answered with a tone of voice that seems disinterested, annoyed, rushed, and overall just not helpful at all.
And while you are left stagnant, you see other Essential Oils distributors climbing and climbing like the sky is the limit! All of that while fighting for yourself and unsure of which direction to go in or who to turn to for a little help.So, let’s see…..
The dictionary defines a mentor as:
- A trusted counselor or guide
- An influential senior sponsor or supporter
- To act as a mentor is spending years mentoring junior employees.
- Synonyms adviser, master, guide, preceptor
The etymology of the word mentor comes from ancient Greek. In the Odyssey, the Mentor was a loyal adviser of Odysseus entrusted with the care and education of Telemachus.
So, you would love to be babysitted?
The dictionary defines babysitting as:
- To take care of a child or children in the absence of a parent or guardian
- To take care of or watch over someone or something needing attention
- To watch over or tend to
If you were expecting your upline to “do” everything for you or monopolizing her time out of failure to attempt a task on your own, then we must agree that this is not acceptable. Your sponsor is not there to do your job.
- If she is mildly successful, she has 100 other people like you spread all over the US, in different States and time zone.
- If she is very successful, she has 10,000 to 30,000 downlines and has even less time to babysit 30,000 people.
Let’s get this right: there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking strong guidance, fellowship, and encouragement when you are new to a company, product, process, or team and it is your sponsor’s job to help you.
The key word being TEAM.
The dictionary defines a team as:
- Two or more horses, oxen, or other animals harnessed together to draw a vehicle
- Several persons forming one of the sides in a game or contest
- Several persons associated in some joint action: a team of advisers
- A family of young animals
What is it to be part of a team:
- To join together in a team
- To drive a team
- To gather or join in an organization, band, association, or a cooperative effort
Mentor, Babysitting, and Team
With those three words explicitly defined, it would definitively appear that the person who sponsored you into their essential oils program should be there to:
- touch base with you
- congratulates you when you jump ranking
- offer you advice and suggestions
- offer scripts to start your essential oils presentations
- answer any questions about essential oils
- introduce you to others on the “team”
- give you an introductory class on essential oils
- organize Make And Take Workshops
- organize Bible studies and essential oils
- and so on.
If the leader, or the mentor, is not a team player, then, consider for a moment how her style of “leadership” trickles down through the ranks – and so the cycle of poor leadership begins from the example of one.
If you consider yourself a LEADER, it is a key element to providing your downline with educational material, flyers, brochures and opportunities for them to learn and develop their own knowledge and style.
True leadership is about inspiring a person to be all they can be. You never know what a person has been through in their past and how that has impacted their life, their self-esteem, the fear of speaking, and so on.
Sure, there are “tire kickers” and those people who are just down right lazy and will waste your time ’til the cows come home, but some of your most rewarding moments and successful will be with people who just needed a tiny bit extra help and support.
The law of reciprocity.
In a true spirit of excellence and compassion, you are to take the time to really evaluate a person and see in them what they might not be able to see in themselves. All the talk about “it is all about building relationships because people want to do business with people”, has no meaning and no impact if the sponsor or team leader doesn’t make any effort to stay connected to their team.
I hope and strive you never become “that” kind of “mentor” as you climb the mountain of success. You don’t ever want the people you meet or sign on to your team to be left with the feeling that you are indifferent to their success or left them out in the cold to figure it out on their own.
Of course, not everybody has the gift to be a great leader, but everyone still has the potential to be successful in their own style. If you truly do what you can to help someone and they fail to participate in their own progress, then both have to part ways.
On the other hand, you always want to remain connected to your team and, in essence, you will become friends.
Could you really just turn away from a true friend and let them drown like that?
For the newbies out there in the networking world, if you have been left out in the wild as an MLM Orphan here are a couple of directions you can go:
- pull all that you have within yourself and do not let that dark spot stop you from reaching your goals and living your dream
- pick up and find a way to make it happen
- seek support from someone else – they are out there – and if it’s just not the right fit for you, then leave.
Jumping from one company to another will never bring you true success because the rules are the same everywhere, so, just keep building one brick at a time.
A word for your uplines who are signing up more people in a day than you do in a month:
- Take time to think about what it might be like for an orphan who is really stepping out on a limb and in their heart really wants to be successful, but might not need that small amount of extra support.
- Don’t think that because you somehow were able to do it by yourself, others can do the same. There is nothing more untrue than that.
- Try to operate in a spirit of compassion and remember what it was like at some point in your own life when you needed a little extra support to get through a process.
- Remember that even when Jesus had a small loaf of bread, he was able to share it with thousands of disciples
Now, some words of wisdom: I don’t do cross-recruiting because that’s not ethical, and you should not seek to sign under someone else if your sponsor left you an orphan, but I will help you the best I can to achieve your dreams with Essential Oils.
Just keep opening my emails for more knowledge, more is coming your way. From now on, you are not an orphan anymore.
Do you receive “The Essential Intel”?
The Essential Intel is a weekly newsletter to help distributors grow their essential oils business to the next level. Some of the most sought after information of the Essential Intel is:
- Planning your essential oils event
- How to sponsor people
- Tips to boost your prospects engagement
- Intuition vs facts
The Essential Intel is free, but you have to be registered to receive it. You can apply to receive The Essential Intel by checking the orange box on the right hand side.